K5 Blazer fiberglass top texture help needed

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:28 pm
Any advice on what can be used to replicate the texture on a K5 Blazer fiberglass top?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:49 pm
So, got a pic. of an example of what the texture is like?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:41 am

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:25 am
Well, if I were going to give that an "overall" shot I would consider using Upol Raptor bedliner in a white. Their white is "tintable" so if it was off a little or just too bright you could adjust it. Although it could go through their standard Shutz gun shooter that screws on to the bottle it would take could take a lot of fiddling and probably 70 psi to get that "fine" of a texture. Would probably be easier to just to load up a gun using a 2.0 size tip or higher (2.2 to 2.8 would be better) to shoot that fine of a texture.
If you are talking about just trying to "spot in" that area that would be kind of tough. Not saying it couldn't be done but you'd have to have some artistic skills for that....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:01 pm
DarrelK wrote:Well, if I were going to give that an "overall" shot I would consider using Upol Raptor bedliner in a white. Their white is "tintable" so if it was off a little or just too bright you could adjust it. Although it could go through their standard Shutz gun shooter that screws on to the bottle it would take could take a lot of fiddling and probably 70 psi to get that "fine" of a texture. Would probably be easier to just to load up a gun using a 2.0 size tip or higher (2.2 to 2.8 would be better) to shoot that fine of a texture.
If you are talking about just trying to "spot in" that area that would be kind of tough. Not saying it couldn't be done but you'd have to have some artistic skills for that....

Thanks for the help. I'm looking at an entire repaint. I would like for the color of the removable top to match the color of the paint. What I would like to do is apply a texture which then I can paint over.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:26 pm
The Upol Raptor can definitely be tinted and shot over as well with other colors. It is a pure polyurethane product. I'd just try to tint as close as possible to the color you want to paint, observe the p. sheet instructions on coating over top, then do your single stage or base/clear system over that.
So go to the bottom of this page and just take a look for a couple of more pages. I am building my new truck bed cover from scratch and using the Upol Raptor just with their standard Shutz gun screw on top. That texture was achieved at 70 psi and being about 2 feet or so from the surface.....
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27971&start=90

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic