Painting a welded floor with epoxy

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:16 pm
I replaced half of a floor using butt welding and I’d like to remove the remaining rust with a braided wire wheel on an angle grinder. I want to spend a few days just getting both sides (inner, outer) of the floor prepped and painted, painting what I prep each day. I’ve got some Nason epoxy primer. Don’t see on the can if it’s 1 or 2 mil.
Two questions, can I just use a good paint brush for the two primer coats, then spray the top coat?
Also, since this floor has been worked over pretty good, has a lot of bumps, dings, inside corners etc., would be hard to impossible to sand between coats, how can I get around the requirement on the TDS to either repaint within 24 hours or sand between coats? If I had to I could probably knock out two primer coats and a top coat in 40 hours to avoid sanding, just not sure if I can. I have a good sandblasting compressor, but don’t want to use on the inside of floor, too many hiding places for sand. The rest of the body comes later. Thanks for any suggestions. Tried to search it without luck

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:14 pm
Get a better quality Epoxy primer. The stuff I use gives you up to 7 days to top coat without sanding.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:38 am
OK thanks! I didn’t know there were other options. Very good to know

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:55 am
:goodpost: good post above. I've used Nasons epoxy and wile it sprays ok its a fairly thin bodied material and doesn't brush well. as 69 recommends there are better options.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:08 pm
badsix wrote::goodpost: good post above. I've used Nasons epoxy and wile it sprays ok its a fairly thin bodied material and doesn't brush well. as 69 recommends there are better options.
Jay D.

Thanks for the suggestion, I got it for a tractor and wasn't too worried about the results at the time, now I've got an old car floor I put a lot of hours of welding into, would you even bother using it at all on something you put a lot of time into? Also, just for this floor, if I use Nason epoxy primer can I use a better top coat over that or would I have to go buy a Nason top coat? Sounds like I should just save it for tractors and equipment. It would be single stage. Thanks

Return to Body and Paint