Spot Sanding Base Before Clear??

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:33 pm
Hi Guys,
More of a hypothetical question..........let's say after the base dries you see some dirt that will not knock off with a tack cloth. Could you hit the area with say, 800 or 1000 grit before you clear? I'm only talking about a few areas on a panel, not the whole piece. Just curious.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:16 am
Only if you re-base where you sanded.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:12 am
Rebel Racing wrote:Hi Guys,
More of a hypothetical question..........let's say after the base dries you see some dirt that will not knock off with a tack cloth. Could you hit the area with say, 800 or 1000 grit before you clear? I'm only talking about a few areas on a panel, not the whole piece. Just curious.

this might sound nuts but ive done it when finishing woodworking projects and it works good without damaging surrounding finish( base might be softer than lacquers or polys i use in ww- idk):
take a brown paper bag and wrap it around a hard block then rub lightly on the nibs. that has knocked down dust nibs pretty quick without effecting the surrounding finish for me.

the worse that can happen is youd have to rebase as stated above.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:39 am
NFT5 wrote:Only if you re-base where you sanded.
O.K. makes sense. Thanks!!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:40 am
tomsteve wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:Hi Guys,

this might sound nuts but ive done it when finishing woodworking projects and it works good without damaging surrounding finish( base might be softer than lacquers or polys i use in ww- idk):
take a brown paper bag and wrap it around a hard block then rub lightly on the nibs. that has knocked down dust nibs pretty quick without effecting the surrounding finish for me.

the worse that can happen is youd have to rebase as stated above.
Interesting....should the need ever arrive, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:00 am
Ok, I'll admit it....had a furniture instructor show us the brown paper bag thing about 35 years ago. I do it all the time with furniture grade coatings and a few times I have done it with automotive base. Just watch it....brown are unbleached bags which are not a problem....white bags have been bleached/colored or even waxed at times. They are a no, no.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:26 am
:goodpost: my boy when ever doing plastic parts such as ATV plastics. he has to sand them which generally leaves nibs all over the plastic, the brown bag removes them and makes the surface smooth.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint