Bare metal painting

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:32 am
I just finished welding floor and chassis pieces of Morris Minor on a rotisserie, and it’s been about a year since I started. We get about 11 inches of precipitation here, so I don’t see any new rust. I have a great sand blaster I’m ready to use on the remaining old rust just before I epoxy primer the floor. I read “how to prep for paint from bare metal”, above. The floor has a lot of plug welds, butt welds, dimples. My question is, since so much of the metal has been bare for so long is there anything I should do to remove any invisible rust? And is invisible rust even an issue when using epoxy primer? I’m going to use a good grey primer and black single stage paint and am not concerned about the appearance at all, just want to stop as much rust as I can. Thanks

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:31 am
I would use the media blaster to remove the rust like you planned but then lightly hit the remaining floor as well.
The media will prep the floor just fine for epoxy primer.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:58 am
Thanks, Ill do that. Was considering it but thought it might be overkill

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:01 am
:goodpost: remember you can brush or roll it on also, sometimes its easier in a situation like yours.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:05 pm
Thanks Jay, I’ve heard it’s ok, wasn’t sure. Seems like a fine brush might work it into small cracks and cavities better too

Return to Body and Paint