A question about My TA project

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:31 pm
I am looking for a bit of guidance.
I will be ready to complete the paint work on the TA soon.
The shell was painted last Sept. and I have the doors, fenders hood and nose left to do.

My question is based on the two pictures below.

Would you paint (base and clear) the mating surfaces between the nose and fender before doing the rest of the painting, or just assemble and shoot?
I guess my concern is having a paint film span the two and potential for cracking, exposing a bit of primer.

I was planning to paint the nose and the rest separate but would like to have the nose installed rather than handle the urethane unit after paint.

Thanks,
JT

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:04 am
i will paint it, but i'm a nit picker. you'll probably be ok to just put it together then shoot it. there's a number of ways to paint it. i do this right after the last coat of primer before finish sanding. one way is to kinda shoot your spray up towards the outer edge, and just let the overspray go where it goes you'll sand it off when you do your finish sanding. i would put the minimum on base coat just to cover and one coat of clear.
next you can use some fine line and tape just at the bottom of the edge roll. if done properly thats all that has to be done. you won't see the edge after its together and the topcoat is on. IF you get the tape line to far out you can just scuff it down during your final sanding. you can also back tape it, its a little more tedious but works.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:57 pm
I have done it both ways. Now it seems I paint in pieces and then assemble most of the cars I work on.
I know some say the metallics won't lay right but if you are consistent in your technique and try to orient the parts as they will be on the vehicle before painting it turns out fine.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:34 pm
Yes, separate the pieces.
Chris

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:22 pm
Hmmmm.

I dig all the responses and thanks.

I believe I understand badsix's take on the spray method and I was thinking to shoot toward the outside edge of the surface and then address whatever overspray ends up on the outer surface with a touch up on the final sanding.

I also dig the mindset to do them separately.
I have found my little turbine set-up can repeat on conditions to get the metallic to end up the same one day to the next. You kind of get what you get with it.
I like the idea of painting separate to get under the nose real good too.
I have the nose up on a workmate with brackets so it is in an ideal position.

What I did not hear is "you will be sorry if you don't pre-paint before assembling", but also did hear that not painting the edges was not even considered in any response. So at a minimum I will dust the edges, assemble and paint.

Getting close to painting.
I'll post up pics in the other section when the results are in.

Thanks guys

JT

Fully Engaged

New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:27 pm
Hi JT, I'm just a new boy LOL all I know is what I've learnt from the other guys. But make sure you get some clear coat over the edges too as this is the waterproofing bit to the paint job.

I'm sure it will work out well. It's better to do it and have some fun in the process than to give someone else your money and have them do it. Good luck, Bill.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:51 pm
Bill,
Yes it will definably get some clear

Return to Body and Paint