Help with Block Sanding Grits

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:31 pm
OldFatBald wrote:
ScottB wrote:Going by your pic it looks like the blaster was clueless and destroyed your hood, unless you had kids jumping on it. I'd be ringing the blaster's neck. Been blasting for decades and never warped a panel. I own a resto and custom paint shop and have only been doing this for four decades. I'd find another hood or skimcoat that hood and start blocking...

Scott, I am curious why you say that the blaster ruined my hood. I did have another "expert" blaster screw up a pretty rare 61 C10 cateye hood - my fault for trusting them.

I thought that this one came out pretty well.

Just wondering what picture shows it so bad as I am just a weekend part time rookie at this stuff.

Because judging by your highs and lows it looks like some idiot blasted it or somebody was blocking it with a two concrete blocks. Not sure. I've only done thousands of cars.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:59 pm
ScottB wrote:
OldFatBald wrote:
ScottB wrote:Going by your pic it looks like the blaster was clueless and destroyed your hood, unless you had kids jumping on it. I'd be ringing the blaster's neck. Been blasting for decades and never warped a panel. I own a resto and custom paint shop and have only been doing this for four decades. I'd find another hood or skimcoat that hood and start blocking...

Scott, I am curious why you say that the blaster ruined my hood. I did have another "expert" blaster screw up a pretty rare 61 C10 cateye hood - my fault for trusting them.

Just wondering what picture shows it so bad as I am just a weekend part time rookie at this stuff.

Because judging by your highs and lows it looks like some idiot blasted it or somebody was blocking it with a two concrete blocks. Not sure. I've only done thousands of cars.

how do you know the hood was not wavey before blasting ?

OFB you shouldve skimmed that hood after epoxy
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:12 pm
PainterDave wrote:OFB you shouldve skimmed that hood after epoxy

PD, I knocked on your door and no one answered.

I'm getting better, little by little!
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:59 am
PainterDave wrote:
ScottB wrote:
OldFatBald wrote:

how do you know the hood was not wavey before blasting ?

OFB you shouldve skimmed that hood after epoxy

I don't know for sure. Most with knowledge would have run their hand over it and figured out the proper repair procedure. I'm not new to this business Dave.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:21 pm
ScottB wrote:I don't know for sure. Most with knowledge would have run their hand over it and figured out the proper repair procedure. I'm not new to this business Dave.

Hey ScottB, obviously I don't have the knowledge and that is why I asking here on "AutoBody101" (almost like it right there in the title!). As I am not a seasoned professional such as yourself and all the others here that have helped me get to this point. I am just a hobbyist weekend rookie hack that is still sanding off more than I apply.

Thanks guys for the criticism and constructive help. I will update this thread with my little hood project as it progresses.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:43 pm
OldFatBald wrote:
ScottB wrote:I don't know for sure. Most with knowledge would have run their hand over it and figured out the proper repair procedure. I'm not new to this business Dave.

Hey ScottB, obviously I don't have the knowledge and that is why I asking here on "AutoBody101" (almost like it right there in the title!). As I am not a seasoned professional such as yourself and all the others here that have helped me get to this point. I am just a hobbyist weekend rookie hack that is still sanding off more than I apply.

Thanks guys for the criticism and constructive help. I will update this thread with my little hood project as it progresses.

If your blaster did the damage that sucks. I have had customers pay me thousands to fix hack work by other shops. You'll be fine if practicing tenacity. Have fun.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:14 am
OldFatBald wrote:

call or text anytimne
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:37 pm
PainterDave wrote:
OldFatBald wrote:

call or text anytimne

GOOD MAN !
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay
Previous

Return to Body and Paint