Smallest Amount of Mix by Jobber

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:16 pm
In your experience what is the smallest amount of paint a jobber will mix up for you. What are the options nowdays for touching up a small scratch area to match a factory color? I'll finish it off with some ********** clear. This job doesn't have to be perfect or else I would respray the whole panel. Thanks

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:55 pm
It depends on the distributor and the paint system and scales that they're using. Generally, though, 100ml is about the smallest quantity that most will mix - on the basis that getting the quantities right below that can be difficult.

I have scales that are pretty accurate and will measure down to 1/100th of a gram so I regularly mix touch up paints in 10ml bottles. That said, whites I usually will only do in 100ml, because the quantities of the other tinters are critical.

Touch up paints for most common colours are generally available. Why not just use one of those?
Chris

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:49 am
Yeah for this I would be ok with some touch up paint if I can get some to match a factory 1990 GM truck color and I assume it would be ok to shoot clear over it.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:22 pm
Mark460 wrote:In your experience what is the smallest amount of paint a jobber will mix up for you.
1/2 pint is the smallest I ever ask for and get.

Return to Body and Paint