Is my plastic fender repairable?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:07 pm
Just bought this BMW and I think it's cursed. It got hit three times before I even had my first drive.

The fender got hit by a school bus and it's missing some pieces. I want to grow some auto body skills so if it's fixable I'll give it a try. Let me know what's the best way to tackle it.
Attachments
Accident damage.jpg

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:42 am
Is it repairable? Sure.

In a 3 layer white pearl on a BMW is it a good starting job for a beginner? Nope.

I'm assuming that the car was parked, correctly when the bus hit it? Why wouldn't you claim on the bus' insurance?
Chris

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:14 pm
NFT5 wrote:Is it repairable? Sure.

In a 3 layer white pearl on a BMW is it a good starting job for a beginner? Nope.

I'm assuming that the car was parked, correctly when the bus hit it? Why wouldn't you claim on the bus' insurance?

I'm not planning to do any painting. Just bumper repair. Can you give me an idea how it could be fixed?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:46 pm
Identify your plastic type and then plastic weld it. Check out the Plastic ID Charts and plastic welding advice/ equipment at.... www.polyvance.com
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:18 pm
nwa5151 wrote:The fender got hit by a school bus and it's missing some pieces.

nwa5151 wrote:I'm not planning to do any painting. Just bumper repair.

Ok, I'm confused. Are you planning on repairing the guard with the big crack in it or the bar which appears just to have a scrape?

As above, plastic welding is certainly an option although there are other methods but, either way, if you don't paint the repair then you'll have a big ugly black repair and the paint edges, not being sealed will eventually allow water under the paint which will result in failure on a much bigger scale.

It's a nice car, why wouldn't you fix it properly?
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:11 pm
Yeah, ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^, was wondering about that as well.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic