Jeep Grand Cherokee Truck Build

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:35 pm
So much for a bolt in kit. :worthy:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:33 pm
Well, we did most of this to ourselves with our "minor" changes..... :splat: So you are working along and you think.... "Yeah, let's add this, or hey, this would be better if we moved it here, or what if water gets down in here?" Back in the good ol' days you had these drawings (looked like the scribblings of a 6 year old) of slot tab a. into slot b. and reuse the 18 body bolts you took out to mount the new body..... A whole kit body consisted of mono tub with a couple of doors, a hood, and rear deck lid....If you wanted it all to go together you didn't dare start hacking or moving anything or you were doomed..... :knockout:
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:14 pm
So we are dividing and conquering for a short while now. I got in a full day with Riley today and will get in a full day with the Grandson on Saturday. So these side wing plates fit in and strengthen the roof area. Normally these things just slide in at the top and then it is just bolt, rivet, rivet to the door edge. But, no we have fill in that huge gap we created by making more interior space. Well, we weren't going to be using the large aluminum spare tire stiffener because we are running the spare so that became our extra hack surface for getting these two filler plates. About 40 nuts and bolts on each side and we got it all together.....
Attachments
Jeep Roof Attachements 1.jpg
Yep, the roof would have been cut 5 inches more forward to fill that gap in but we wanted more room behind those seats.....
Jeep Roof Attachments 2.jpg
Stainless steel bolt and premium rivets contribute to about 6 tons of holding power in this area. You go through double layers of the Jeep's steel for attachment.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:29 pm
So my grandson and I got nearly 8 hours in today. Again, this was kind of an "upgrade" thing with making what would have been two solid riveted bed floor panels into a hinged access panel which will have dual handle/locks built into that panel. This involved installing a continuous piano hinge which is down facing and hidden. One thing we ran into was, well you couldn't just hinge the rear floor panel as is because it flares toward the back of the vehicle. This mean we had to square up cuts on each side to make triangular stationery side which THEN allowed that panel to operate.
And, after ironing out the floor there was the tailgate. When I was building my Charger kit the tailgate fitment, ahhh..... gave me fits! So this tailgate install.....maybe it is just our previous experience or better eyeballs but we intalled the central latching handle, hook rods to the outside mech.s, put in the upper catches in and lower pivot points in.... and adjusted everything in less than 2 hours! And, I mean this thing fits.... I've seen factory tailgates off more than this.....
Next get together will be all of us next Sunday. We seem to be right on track and I think this Jeep Ute should be rolling down the road somewhere between the middle or end of March.....
Attachments
IMG_20220129_155842892.jpg
Finishing up the riveting on the front floor panel. There are a lot of larger bolts in the nose of this panel underneath.....
IMG_20220129_162530225.jpg
A lot of room for storage even under that tire.
IMG_20220129_162636343.jpg
Cover is now hinged. We'll do drop rod support in here for support.
IMG_20220129_172117743.jpg
This thing is super sturdy, tailgate slams shut nice....
IMG_20220129_172906381.jpg
Tailgate fit was excellent. Tolerances are even all around....

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:31 pm
You guys are too much. I would never have even thought about converting a Jeep Cherokee into a truck in the first place, let alone modifying the kit along the way.

Another fantastic project. Great work.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:20 pm
Thanks! We seem to be hitting our stride on this build. I think my Charger build is what gave us the incentive/confidence to start modding this thing. We were encouraged by the video series that Hesterman has out on Youtube for the Jeep build specifically. He has a tendancy to try to "improve" functional aspects and show you shortcuts as he builds each car. Even in the short time this kit was released he had come up with a lot of tips on getting a better finished product.
My grandson seemed especially excited today with our progress... 8)

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:23 am
Yeah, "custom guys" get a little overexcited, doing improvement, to improvements!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:00 am
It is easy to get carried away with the process.... to keep this in check I use a legal pad and by myself run over what we are doing and the order we are doing it BEFORE we all get together and work. When we come to something we might change or modify we balance that against the extra time we think it will take to do and if "what" we are thinking about doing is really going to be that much of an improvement.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:10 pm
Snowbound.... eh, not so much. Just an opportunity (yeah, that's what it is) to go ahead and get more taxes done. So while I've been doing that I just walk out in my shop now and then and begin the process of lengthening the fiberglass cab cover. We need just about 5 inches more of the side panels. I started with the old pink stuff foam and clamped pieces of it top and bottom. I'm using epoxy resin here along with epoxy compatible cloth and matt. This is just my project as it just takes some steps over a few days. I laid cloth down first tucking it under the edge of the foam. Later I will dissolve that foam and add a much broader piece of cloth tieing making that all about the same stiffness as the original panels. After I wetted out the cloth, then we added more of the matt wetted out. With the wetted out pic. there we are at 1 layer of cloth and 3 layers of matt. That should be about right allowing for a cream out with flex glazing on the surface. I think that last glaze will come after we panel bond the cab cover. The dissolving of the foam and the addition of the cloth on the inside will be done before we mount the cab cover.
Attachments
Cab extending stages.jpg
This is the cloth, then it was wetted..... Addition of the Matt..... This is what your wetted out matt looks like....

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:32 pm
Working a little more on this today..... So what happens to the foam on the inside? Well, we don't need it because will being layering up some on the inside for strength. I had several gallons of xylene left over from some projects over the last couple of years. I found that althouh acetone can quickly dissolve these foams that xylene is a little slower and dissolves down to a point that I can grab the clear plastic membrane which sets right on top of the foam and just peel the whole mess off in one piece and pitch it. Rough up the inner surface and we are good to go a layering again.....
Attachments
IMG_20220205_131744319.jpg
This is the foam that formed our shape...time to go....
IMG_20220205_133136466.jpg
Melts down to that clear plastic film, just pull up and pitch....
IMG_20220205_133339068.jpg
Nice and clean, ready for more layers inside
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects