Absolute paint newbie advice

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:27 pm
Top of my truck cap is faded bad by the sun where I have no shade to park in and as a result lots of rain has rusted it as well. What is a cheap fix I'm very broke/poor to be honest I know sand it down with a hand sander I guess but what grit paper and what's a good spray paint fix about all I can afford. Any advice be welcome thank you
Attachments
IMG_20220618_171648.jpg

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:03 pm
There is a Sticky Post at the top of this forum called, How to Prep for Paint, that should answer your questions.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:17 pm
No it talks about build primer epoxy primer? Not working with bare metal still no idea which grit to use I'm not a professional or have access to pro paint tools or fancy primer or paint why I was asking about possibly spray paint.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:46 pm
Once the clear coat fails, like yours did, all of the paint needs to come off.

Sorry but anything short of that is not going to last. This site is meant to help beginners to do things right.
1968 Coronet R/T

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:16 am
You can remove the paint pretty quickly using 80 grit on any
circular sander like a DA or buffer.
I just finished a peeling hood that had so much paint on it
(painted 3 times before) that the sandpaper clogged real quick
trying to remove it so I had to go to a coarse sanding disk of 36 grit.
That scratched the metal so bad I had to epoxy prime and prime
over that with a high build 2K primer to fill the scratches.
Here's a picture of me sanding the guide coat off to rid the scratches.
It's a lot of time consuming work.

SDC13223.JPG
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:56 am
Thank you for some useful tips I appreciate someone trying to help. Unlike the last fella with his "superiority" comment about doing things the "right way". Was just looking for any type of advice or tools to use thank you!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:38 pm
Wow. Didn't realize I hurt your feelings.

Good thing I didn't tell you what I really think about using rattle cans for painting cars. :wink:
1968 Coronet R/T

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:53 pm
Holman52186 wrote:Thank you for some useful tips I appreciate someone trying to help. Unlike the last fella with his "superiority" comment about doing things the "right way". Was just looking for any type of advice or tools to use thank you!

I think that you have misinterpreted 68's response.

This forum is the best place to get years and years of knowledge from both professionals and quite a few overachiever hobbyists. And then there are the guys like you and me that come here to learn.

HD rattle cans are just not really part of that equation. You can use some of the jobber filled SprayMax cans but they get expensive. If you are just trying to save money on a daily work truck, you can prep it yourself, but find someone that does work out of their garage to shoot it.

The initial buy in for this hobby is pretty steep, compressor, filtration, consumables, decent gun not to mention the fillers, primers, top coats and clears.

These guys will help you out, just be ready for some honest answers.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:41 pm
Holman52186 wrote:Top of my truck cap is faded bad by the sun where I have no shade to park in and as a result lots of rain has rusted it as well. What is a cheap fix I'm very broke/poor to be honest I know sand it down with a hand sander I guess but what grit paper and what's a good spray paint fix about all I can afford. Any advice be welcome thank you
So., for a real redneck quick fix...........IMO, get a Amazon B/D orbital sander and 80. 120 240and or 400 grit discs. Sand it down to the metal. Rattle can primer and get your Supplier to mix you a rattle can (a few) of the correct color code and spray it. it will look like tiger stripes but it will be be better than what you have. Just my .02 I'm just a hack painter that does a few motorcycle tins a month so, I am NOT a pro by any means so take my words with a grain of salt. Having said all that, for a good job you will need to strip it down, epoxy prime it and then base/clear it. All with a compressor that will keep up with a good gun.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:47 am
Alright I'm going to land myself in it, big time here.

OP asks the question and first we have a long standing and respected member saying that the intent of this site is to do things right, declining to offer bad advice. Followed by another member offering some solid advice which was restricted only to preparation. OP gets his knickers in a knot because someone has refused to give him bad advice, is offered some consolation, and the best advice so far, by another emerging talent member. Then we have one of the newest kids on the block, who has to ask about every single job he does, offering advice that goes against everything that this site stands for.

Seriously, OP could have figured out such a poor solution all by himself, I'm sure. How much are all those cans of custom mixed paint going to cost? And what about clear?
As OldFatBald said:
OldFatBald wrote:You can use some of the jobber filled SprayMax cans but they get expensive.

He also offers the most practical and probably most economical solution:
OldFatBald wrote: If you are just trying to save money on a daily work truck, you can prep it yourself, but find someone that does work out of their garage to shoot it.
Chris
Next

Return to Body and Paint