Speedokote basecoat

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:40 pm
Speedokote is now selling basecoat mixed to factory paint codes. It mixes 1:1 and priced out quite a bit less than another brand I was looking at. Has anyone here tried it yet?

Thanks

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:46 pm
I have yet to spray their basecoat (silver), but I have used their DTM epoxy. I really am happy with the epoxy. Sands easy, sprays well, ad even bushes-on "OK" for nooks and crannies.
I have also spoken to their tech support when I ran out of reducer and substituted Acetone. Was shocked when they called me back and gave me "real" answers, not some call-center script BS.

If you read the Amazon reviews (sort by "recent" to cut back on the cherry-picking), folks seem to be really happy with it. Some experienced folks on there have commented they are surprised by the quality vs. price.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:06 pm
I went ahead and ordered a quart so I will give it a try.- I sprayed this same color in another brand recently, so it will be interesting to compare.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:54 am
How do you match the color?
I find the stock color by the paint code seldom matches and
have to use a variant to get a blendable match.
My supplier has paint chips to pick from to get the right variant
and that works pretty well.
But to just pick the "standard" color by the paint code?
Do they have a way to altar it?
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:44 pm
It is probably best suited to do overall jobs but I am hoping its close enough for a blend.
I guess I will find out--

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:05 am
I sprayed a test panel with the Speedokote basecoat and I gotta say I don't have any real complaints--Coverage was pretty good. I sprayed the first coat pretty light, but it was already starting to cover pretty well. Second coat was normal medium wet, and I probably could have stopped there but it was a pearl color and I had paint left so I did a drop coat.
For a 1:1 base with a lower price point I could see using it again. For this particular example, the color match looks good enough to be blendable. I cleared it with Speedokote SS1200 glamour clear and it looks to be a pretty decent product as well.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:10 pm
67ss396 wrote:I sprayed a test panel with the Speedokote basecoat and I gotta say I don't have any real complaints--Coverage was pretty good. I sprayed the first coat pretty light, but it was already starting to cover pretty well. Second coat was normal medium wet, and I probably could have stopped there but it was a pearl color and I had paint left so I did a drop coat.
For a 1:1 base with a lower price point I could see using it again. For this particular example, the color match looks good enough to be blendable. I cleared it with Speedokote SS1200 glamour clear and it looks to be a pretty decent product as well.
Did you (or anyone else) try their primer?

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:48 pm
I use their DTM epoxy primer. No other reference point, but it works great for me! I called tech support recently as I have several of thier products, and Brad is super helpful. Took 30 minutes of his day to make a bunch of recommendations and tips on using their products. Was very honest about what equipment and what product choices really mattered and what doesn’t.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:08 pm
Ahajmano wrote:I use their DTM epoxy primer. No other reference point, but it works great for me! I called tech support recently as I have several of thier products, and Brad is super helpful. Took 30 minutes of his day to make a bunch of recommendations and tips on using their products. Was very honest about what equipment and what product choices really mattered and what doesn’t.
Good to know. Curious, did you use it on bare metal or was there still some original paint on the parts?

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:39 pm
I may have spoken too soon, after comparing the color of the test panel to the car again today it is not as close as I first thought. This base may need to be relegated to budget overall jobs only.
Next

Return to Body and Paint