Speedokote basecoat

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:39 pm
Rebel Racing wrote:
Ahajmano wrote:I use their DTM epoxy primer. No other reference point, but it works great for me! I called tech support recently as I have several of thier products, and Brad is super helpful. Took 30 minutes of his day to make a bunch of recommendations and tips on using their products. Was very honest about what equipment and what product choices really mattered and what doesn’t.
Good to know. Curious, did you use it on bare metal or was there still some original paint on the parts?

On bare metal in the engine bay. 80-grit block and hand sanded before applying. I just recently applied it to the roof which still had filler/primer in patches where the low spots were. needed a consistent surface to work from since the leopard print of previous fillers made it hard to track the guide coat.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:12 pm
Ahajmano wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:
Ahajmano wrote:I use their DTM epoxy primer. No other reference point, but it works great for me! I called tech support recently as I have several of thier products, and Brad is super helpful. Took 30 minutes of his day to make a bunch of recommendations and tips on using their products. Was very honest about what equipment and what product choices really mattered and what doesn’t.
Good to know. Curious, did you use it on bare metal or was there still some original paint on the parts?

On bare metal in the engine bay. 80-grit block and hand sanded before applying. I just recently applied it to the roof which still had filler/primer in patches where the low spots were. needed a consistent surface to work from since the leopard print of previous fillers made it hard to track the guide coat.
O.K. I had read that sometimes it has the tendency to "lift" old sanded finishes but it sounds like it did not do that to your old primer on the roof,

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:37 pm
Rebel Racing wrote:
Ahajmano wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:

O.K. I had read that sometimes it has the tendency to "lift" old sanded finishes but it sounds like it did not do that to your old primer on the roof,

Nope! so far, so good. I can understand the logic though. Epoxy will shrink quite a bit as it cures, so if it has a significantly stronger bond than the underlying substrate has (for example, poorly bonded filler), I can see the epoxy lifting the filler as it cures. This would have happened during block sanding though, since the filler would separate in "chunks" at the fringes.

Im a complete newbie to autobody/paint, but I have been working with epoxy and urethanes for years as an engineer. Kind of meaningless, since so much of autobody is technique and direct experience. I designed equipment that would automatically mix and dispense with high accuracy for manufacturing companies.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint