Spraying epoxy

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:27 am
Does anyone have any experience with spraying epoxy clear.

I have an epoxy that is designed to be brushed or poured but wish to spray it instead as i want a super thin coating on a complicated shape.

Would there be any issues with gun cleaning protocols that differ from any two pack polys etc

Thanks

Steve

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:27 am
How about a brand name?
Your TDS should let you know any details.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:28 pm
simso wrote:Does anyone have any experience with spraying epoxy clear.

I have an epoxy that is designed to be brushed or poured but wish to spray it instead as i want a super thin coating on a complicated shape.

Would there be any issues with gun cleaning protocols that differ from any two pack polys etc

Thanks

Steve

I doubt youll have much luck, that stuff is excothermic and will most likely harden before you finish the job,

if you do want to try it mix it up quick and reduce a little with acetone and again better move quick, use a cheap harbor freight gun or something as you will most likely be tossing in the trash.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:58 pm
The msds sheet does not tell me much and I am struggling to find a tds for it.

Yes my main concern is damage to my spray guns, I was considering doing the paint work early in the morning when its cold, less than 13 degrees at the momment, so cure time is reduced significantly, if not stopped all together.

Reading up on epoxy paitnting, the general advise for epoxies is a spray tip of 1.8, thats going to be pretty thick, my goal is a thin light coating

Steve

The product in question

https://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index.php ... th=248_251

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:30 pm
simso wrote:The msds sheet does not tell me much and I am struggling to find a tds for it.

Yes my main concern is damage to my spray guns, I was considering doing the paint work early in the morning when its cold, less than 13 degrees at the momment, so cure time is reduced significantly, if not stopped all together.

Reading up on epoxy paitnting, the general advise for epoxies is a spray tip of 1.8, thats going to be pretty thick, my goal is a thin light coating

Steve

The product in question

https://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index.php ... th=248_251

ok not the epoxy i was thinking, i know nothing about the stuff in the link. i would say try to reduce it a bit and test on a few things before moving forward.

tweaking products can be beneficial at times as long as you know or have tested the results
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:44 pm
After reading what that stuff is made to do....it appears to be more like a casting resin. If that is the case spraying it "thin" is not going to give you a performance coating in my opinion. Stuff made like that works better in "mass" or thickness especially when it is curing.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:44 am
Yeh I am stuck between a rock and a hard place, I need to spray brass parts with epoxy clear, but no one manufacturers a product here in Australia to do this.

I have used all other types of finish and they are very lacking, manufacturers of musical instruments use a baked epoxy finish on highly polished brass, but trying to get so ethign shipped to Australia is a negative on all fronts, so now left to resort to trying local epoxies and seeing if i can somehow get them to spray out.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:51 am
Simso, try Concept paints website. They have a few 2K direct to metal clears. Not epoxy but may do what you need. UE02, 701 and 760 clears. The UE02 is interesting - 2 minutes flash off then cures in 60 seconds under UV light. 40% solids in a 1K clear.
Chris

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:14 am
Chris

Thanks will have a look tomoz

Steve

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:20 am
Been recommended but still no guarantee it will work a baked enamel clear, so going to do some test sprays up next week and see how it fairs on brass
Next

Return to Body and Paint