Fleece Texture on Fiberglass Project

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:09 pm
I used fleece (first time) on a 'mold' for a fiberglass dash pad. I was able to remove the dash plug, reinforce the inside of the 'pad' with fiberglass cloth and have a nice solid 'dash pad' to build from. My plan was to body work the exterior (fleece) and then cover with vinyl. The inside I was going to use spray foam to fill.

My question is the exterior fleece is very rough textured. I have two layers of fiberglass cloth now under it. Should I sand the fleece down and then apply filler or should I apply filler to get smooth and then sculpt?

I am making the brown pad in the pic below using the existing dash as a plug--this one isnt mine just pulled off the internet because my phone is downstairs.

Dash pad.JPG

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:57 am
Okay, I am a little lost.... if you are just going to cover this with vinyl in the end what is the point of the fleece??? If your goal was to achieve a slight amount of padding/give then a polyester scrim or even thin cotton batting would have been easier.... stuff just gets spray glued on....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:42 pm
Thanks Darrell...I was hoping you would chime in. Let me start over.

My Dash Pad is similar to the pic above but was broken in half, lots of cracks, etc---un-useable (see below Pic 1). I have seen where people have used fleece as a good base to stretch over a 'mold'--in this case my beat up dash pad. I liberally applied resin and let dry (Pic 2). I then reinforced the inside of the fleece with pieces of fiberglass cloth after pulling my 'mold' out.

My issue is the texture of the fleece--see close up Pic 3. Not sure if I should just body work as is or try to sand before adding filler.

Have you ever used fleece like this?
Last edited by t63conv on Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:45 pm
Pic 1
Dash 1.jpg

Pic 2
IMG_0694.jpg

Pic 3
IMG_0693.jpg

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:25 pm
T63, I still don't understand what you are trying to do. Are you
A) Splashing a mold to make a new dash pad?
B) Repair your existing dash to recover?

BTW, that dash that you are showing is definitely repairable to recover. The main thing is Do NOT use regular body filler. It does not flex enough.

I use a combination of Canned spray foam, Hardware store mesh, TotalBoat’s FlexEpox (flexible epoxy), Upol 7061 Flexible High Density Body Filler (Flexible Bumper Filler) and Upol Raptor line if that is going to be my final finish. If I am going to cover the dash, I skip the Raptor liner, shoot a couple coats of clear to seal and sand with 320 to give the spray glue something to bite onto.

If you are splashing a mold, yes use body filler to get it smooth as possible.

This one is finished with Raptor liner - reduced and shot through a primer gun

Dash Repair #1 (15).jpg

Dash Repair #1 (7).jpg

Dash Repair #1 Paint Ready (2).jpg

Dash Repair #1 Epoxy Primer (2).jpg

83 Dash.jpg
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:44 pm
This is one that I made some speaker pods and covered in leather. I always grind away anything that is loose or cracked, then spray epoxy to use as a base for any foam or fillers.

89 Dash Redo (7).jpg

89 Dash Redo (9).jpg

89 Dash Redo (26).jpg

89 Dash Redo (30).jpg

C30 Red Leather Dash (3).jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:30 pm
Yes, all of that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^..... The Raptor Bedliner has become kind of my "go to" for replicating a lot of the textures of old and even newer plastics. And, yes, on dashes with a lot of give or flex I prefer to use flexy materials as well. And, no I've personally never used fleece however I have seen it done by V8 Archie when he was selling turn-key Fiero kits....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:35 pm
First of all, let me say those dashes look awesome! My dash was broken in half (at the duct tape). I glued back together but didnt think i was going down the path of "recovering" the dash. I may re-think that if this experiment doesnt work.

What I am doing is not "correct". Correct would be to create a fiberglass mold of the actual dash and then use that mold to make a part/dash.

What I am doing is taking a fiberglass mold of the dash, but then planning to sand and finish the mold with vinyl and install in the car. Does that make sense? I have in my hands a HOLLOW fiberglass reproduction of the beat up dash in my first pic.

I have seen on youtube and tv (because that is where the experts live :happy: ) the use of fleece for making complex curves particularly on speaker box enclosures. Thought I would try since it is cheap.

The problem is the fleece is very rough. The resin seemed to raise the pile (think old fleece throws on your couch that have little piles on them)

I think what I am going to do is sand the fleece down and then body work. I was planning on using regular filler but the flex filler for bumpers is a better idea.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:34 pm
t63conv wrote: ...What I am doing is not "correct". Correct would be to create a fiberglass mold of the actual dash and then use that mold to make a part/dash.

What I am doing is taking a fiberglass mold of the dash, but then planning to sand and finish the mold with vinyl and install in the car. Does that make sense? I have in my hands a HOLLOW fiberglass reproduction of the beat up dash in my first pic.

Sorry, but I still don't understand what you are trying to do.
Are you splashing a mold then making a new dash out of Fleece/Fiberglass?

Or fiberglassing over your old dash?

Either would work.

I think what I am going to do is sand the fleece down and then body work. I was planning on using regular filler but the flex filler for bumpers is a better idea.

Is that fleece/fiberglass piece in the third photo the final piece that you want to cover and reinstall? If so, sand to smooth out and lay some new fiberglass chopped mat over it. Let that cure, sand again, then shoot some G2 Feather Fill, sand again until you get it smooth.

Then shoot the clear to seal, sand and cover with your material. Nothing wrong with your approach and is pretty standard stuff. You would be surprised at how many high end custom cars' interiors are made of mdf, foam, expanded PVC and acrylic.

But please do explain what you are trying to do so folks on this board can help you.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:20 am
[
Is that fleece/fiberglass piece in the third photo the final piece that you want to cover and reinstall? If so, sand to smooth out and lay some new fiberglass chopped mat over it. Let that cure, sand again, then shoot some G2 Feather Fill, sand again until you get it smooth.

Then shoot the clear to seal, sand and cover with your material. Nothing wrong with your approach and is pretty standard stuff. You would be surprised at how many high end custom cars' interiors are made of mdf, foam, expanded PVC and acrylic.

But please do explain what you are trying to do so folks on this board can help you.

Yes, the third pic is the final product. Your outline above was what I was planning but I was surprised by the texture of the fleece. I dont think I would use this again

I think there is a demand for these and I have been tempted to explore the idea of creating a form to produce these one off and sell but that would be a lot of time that I dont have. I would like to experiment with urethane too but again....lack of time.

IF you were asked to make a dash pad similar to the first pic, what would your steps be? Not repair, but make a 2nd one.

THANKS for the help--both of you. I have corvette project coming up and I will be on here probably weekly starting in the new year.
Next

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic