'95 Civic EX 2Dr - rust repair repaint project

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:04 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Are you keeping track of your hours of labor?
Would be interesting to see what this restoration would have cost if you had paid a shop to do it.

I decided not to do so on my GTX but now I wish I had done it.

I haven't tracked hours or material costs but I am sure those would be some crazy numbers. Pretty much cost prohibitive to pay a shop to do this type of work unless you are a deep pockets type of person.

Next project in the queue is my son in laws '87 Mustang GT that needs a new roof skin due to rust (sun roof car common for them have roof rust).

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:51 am
Sanded down the replacement fenders, sprayed one coat of epoxy primer and one coat of surfacer. Then sanded orange peel smooth with 320. Masked off jab engine compartment side of fenders and painted body color.

Had to "adjust" one mounting tab then was able to wiggle the fenders into place. Gap at doors pretty good.

Fenders sanded.jpg

Fenders installed 1.jpg

Fenders installed 2.jpg

Fenders installed 3.jpg

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:37 pm
Getting closer.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:10 pm
My son bought a new front bumper and hood a year or so ago. So we dug them out of deep storage and test fit them. Fitment is really good so we will be able to use them. The hood will be primed and block sanded with body color sprayed on under side. The bumper does not require any prep work being it is scrape damage free.

So we are getting quite the break with the fitment of the aftermarket fenders, hood, bumper. The new rear bumper had terrible fit so had to fix repair and use the old rear bumper which was a lot of extra work. So we are hitting some good luck here with the entire front clip aftermarket and good fitment.

Bumper hood test fit 1.jpg

Bumper hood test fit 2.jpg

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:15 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Getting closer.

Yeah we are facing dropping temps here in Maryland and my detached garage is not insulated so moving a little faster pushing the pace a little harder because in another month or so I won't be able to spray paint any longer. But pretty comfortable where we are at this point.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:00 pm
When I was doing my signature car, I found out that aftermarket panels are not all created equal.
I bought Goodmark rear quarter panel skins cause they were less money. The left side seemed to fit pretty decent so I tacked it in place and then went to the right side. It was there I noticed something did look quite right. After some back and forth measuring from the old skins to the new, I realized the rear side marker lights were in different locations, not just to the old skins but also to each other and nearly 3" different from one side to the other.
Also the right side body line that is supposed to run from the door opening to the center of the side marker light was about an inch low.
It was shortly after that, when I tried an AMD panel and the difference in quality and fit was amazing.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:51 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:When I was doing my signature car, I found out that aftermarket panels are not all created equal.
I bought Goodmark rear quarter panel skins cause they were less money. The left side seemed to fit pretty decent so I tacked it in place and then went to the right side. It was there I noticed something did look quite right. After some back and forth measuring from the old skins to the new, I realized the rear side marker lights were in different locations, not just to the old skins but also to each other and nearly 3" different from one side to the other.
Also the right side body line that is supposed to run from the door opening to the center of the side marker light was about an inch low.
It was shortly after that, when I tried an AMD panel and the difference in quality and fit was amazing.

My son says he paid extra for a premium replacement hood vs buying the cheaper version. The more expensive hood has front emblem holes already drilled and seam sealer on the underside along the edge. The cheaper version did not have those features.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:16 pm
Had to work on getting hood blocked straight. One very shallow dip in one area. One of the rear corners was bent during shipping so had to straighten that out. Epoxy primed and surfacer then blocked flat on outside. Epoxy primed and body color on the underside. Underside I just scuffed up with red scotch brite.

Also had to cut a rectangular chunk out of the underside hood brace to clear the bigger taller engine that was swapped in before we tore car down. The engine rubbed the old hood so we needed a little clearance so new hood doesn't get scuffed up from rubbing.

Turned out to be a lot more work then I thought but got it done ending in a nice panel to complete the front clip of the car.

Hood Prepped.jpg

Hood Installed 1.jpg

Hood Installed 2.jpg

Hood Installed 3.jpg

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:30 pm
Roughed up trunk gutter with red scotch brite, wiped with wax grease remover, and did some seam sealing. Then sprayed epoxy followed by a coat of body color to provide protection from moisture. Earlier in project trunk gutter required patches butt welded in couple of areas surface rust ect ect.

Also scuffed up gas door pocket epoxied and body color.

Trunk Gutter Painted 1.jpg

Trunk Gutter Painted 2.jpg

Gas Door Painted 1.jpg

Gas Door Painted 2.jpg

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:08 pm
My son disassembled new mirrors cause wanted to make sure no black could be seen once painted. Also wired new door handles open position. Scuffed with scotch brite, rinsed off in batch tub, let dry, then 3M Adhesion Promoter then couple coats of PPG epoxy primer.

Mirros door handles 1.jpg

Mirros door handles 2.jpg

Mirros door handles 3.jpg
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects