New gun for Capspray 115

Hosted by our own DarrelK - the place to learn about Turbine spray systems.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:46 pm
I currently have a Titan Capspray 115 with a Maxum Elite gun. I use it mostly for finishing cabinets or other woodworking in my remodeling business. I know this is an auto forum, but I'm curious if their are recommendations for replacement spray guns. I do have an auto project that I have been considering using the turbine on, but right now I'm mostly focused on painting wood (usually S/W Kem Aqua Plus or S/W Emerald Urethane).

My setup is usually a pressure feed to a remote 2qt. canister to allow me to spray in any position and get into tighter spaces.

I know the Capspray and am considering the Maximum II but I have also heard good things about the Apollo 7700T guns. However, as I might spray something a couple of times a year, it's hard to justify the $350 to $450 price point for the gun plus $100+ for the needle/nozzle sets.

I have seen reference to the Sprayfine guns. However, they seem to be bleeder only. I remember this style from back in the old days and unless I can be corrected, they were kind of a pain as they could kick dust or blow my plastic around if I need to set it down for a moment. Is there an advantage of the bleeder style I'm missing?

Then there is the Harbor Freight Avanti. While I am always hesitant about HF, they seem like a bargain for $100 with another $10 for each needle/nozzle set. They also look to be non-bleeder.

Any experience with these guns or discernible differences in finish quality between them? Any others I should look at?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:10 pm
Welcome to our little (and it is small) community here in turbine land. I've been around the field really since about 1979.
Some things to think about and consider.... please keep in mind a lot of this is based on my personal experience and being around this stuff since we had single stage turbines and neanderthal/ archaic at best guns.
In my opinion the real "key" to improving turbine spraying lies less in the guns now and more with the turbines themselves. I now have switched all our turbines over to the new 6 stage units. I use a combination of the older SICMO original and clone guns along with a few of the newer Sprayfine guns. As a present I bought my wood shop apprentice one of the Avanit guns paired up with one of my previous 4 stage units. I grew up with bleeder style guns as those were the ONLY guns that would work with the older turbine gun designs because you could not put backpressure on the turbine stages.
I've had those$300 to $500 range guns demo.ed to me and have even had them for trial periods. Yes, they were maybe marginally better than my old Sicmo guns. They were not better than any of my Sprayfine units. And honestly, the Avanti is a pretty great gun regardless of it's meager price. My apprentice did a side cabinet job for one of his clients using the Avanti. Just using his modded 4 stage it laid down like glass.
So a more important question at this point might be what your turbine motor system currently? Are you 4, 5, or 6 stages currenty?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:04 am
I currently have a 2 1/2 stage turbine with a bleeder gun and looking to purchase another turbine maybe the Avanti 5 stage or the SPrayfine 4 stage....DarrelK, you have a non bleeder guns now ? If so how do you you release the air with the 6 stage turbines with a non bleeder gun

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:43 am
Thanks for the reply. I actually worked for Campbell Hausfeld in the mid-90's, early 2000's so I am a bit familiar with the industry also, although it's been awhile.

I have a 6-stage Titan Capsray unit I picked up used a few years ago. It's a huge improvement over my old 2-stage CH Turbine and gun. The Maxum Elite gun has been decent. It would definitely benefit bumping up the needle and nozzle a size or two though as I am running the #3. My biggest complaint is the built in check valve, but I can deal with that.

I guess I am torn between spending a couple of hundred on new needle/nozzles for the Elite, or just going ahead and buying a new gun (which I would have to buy different needles for anyway).

I looked at the Avanti gun yesterday at HF. Fit and finish were marginal at best. No "clicks" or markings on the controls and it just looked and felt rough. It would probably be a $30-40 gun if it hooked up to an air compressor. Glad to hear that it sprays well though.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:55 am
Let me answer Golfguy here.... I still like bleeders myself however the new 6 stage turbines were a clean sheet of paper design which incoporates a backpressure port right on the turbine outlet itself. In simple designs that is just open with more elaborate designs using a type of spring loaded pop off valve on that port.
And MrStop.... yes, I know that the Avanti is not much to look at but you can't say it doesn't perform well. Again, I'm less hung up on guns with turbine spraying..... the 6 stage is the minimum key to getting the best results with turbine spraying.... and of course needle/nozzle selection is again important in any of these guns....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:06 am
golfguy wrote:I currently have a 2 1/2 stage turbine with a bleeder gun and looking to purchase another turbine maybe the Avanti 5 stage or the SPrayfine 4 stage....DarrelK, you have a non bleeder guns now ? If so how do you you release the air with the 6 stage turbines with a non bleeder gun

To use a non bleeder gun with an older turbine unit, you'll need an external air relief valve like this:

https://www.finishsystems.com/products/ ... lve-a7538a

The newer units should have them built-in.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:17 am
MrStop wrote:
golfguy wrote:I currently have a 2 1/2 stage turbine with a bleeder gun and looking to purchase another turbine maybe the Avanti 5 stage or the SPrayfine 4 stage....DarrelK, you have a non bleeder guns now ? If so how do you you release the air with the 6 stage turbines with a non bleeder gun

To use a non bleeder gun with an older turbine unit, you'll need an external air relief valve like this:

https://www.finishsystems.com/products/ ... lve-a7538a

The newer units should have them built-in.

Thank you MrStop I may go with upgrading my motor or buying the 5 stage avanti or SPrayfine 4 stage complete package....With a non bleeder gun I can use any HVLP or does it have to be turbine related?

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:24 am
DarrelK wrote:Let me answer Golfguy here.... I still like bleeders myself however the new 6 stage turbines were a clean sheet of paper design which incoporates a backpressure port right on the turbine outlet itself. In simple designs that is just open with more elaborate designs using a type of spring loaded pop off valve on that port.
And MrStop.... yes, I know that the Avanti is not much to look at but you can't say it doesn't perform well. Again, I'm less hung up on guns with turbine spraying..... the 6 stage is the minimum key to getting the best results with turbine spraying.... and of course needle/nozzle selection is again important in any of these guns....

The old unit 2 1/2 stage I have now has an ametek motor now with 11amp but I may have to upgrade to a 15amp switch ....What happens if I keep the current 11 amp switch will that be ok? and what is the name of the adaptor that connects to the blower so I can convert my current hose to a easy click on/off hose like the new modern turbines....I know DarrelK you mentioned you currently are using a garden hose and a WHIP attachment

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:35 am
golfguy wrote:
DarrelK wrote:Let me answer Golfguy here.... I still like bleeders myself however the new 6 stage turbines were a clean sheet of paper design which incoporates a backpressure port right on the turbine outlet itself. In simple designs that is just open with more elaborate designs using a type of spring loaded pop off valve on that port.

The old unit 2 1/2 stage I have now has an ametek motor now with 11amp but I may have to upgrade to a 15amp switch ....What happens if I keep the current 11 amp switch will that be ok? and what is the name of the adaptor that connects to the blower so I can convert my current hose to a easy click on/off hose like the new modern turbines....I know DarrelK you mentioned you currently are using a garden hose and a WHIP attachment

You'll need to upgrade the motor/turbine to get more performance. It's more than just the switch rating.

HVLP fittings are standard garden hose brass quick connects. You should be able to pick them up at a home center or Harbor Freight.

Before buying an Avanti unit, I would look for used professional units on ebay, craigslist or facebook marketplace. You should be able to pickup a used Titan, Graco, Fuji, Apollo, or other for a similar price. Alternatively, Darrel has provided info to build your own.
Last edited by MrStop on Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:57 pm
Just so everybody saves a few bucks....
This....https://www.finishsystems.com/products/ ... lve-a7538a
is just a garden hose fitting with a hole drilled in it. You can make your own version for about a buck..... they didn't even take the time to put in a true pop off valve.....

I had posted on here before over in Tools before we had this new forum....
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29168&start=0

And, yes, I do like heavy duty garden hoses and also the internal hose they use a lot in spa building. A turbine hose whip is great up at the gun itself.....
Next

Return to Turbine Systems