New gun for Capspray 115

Hosted by our own DarrelK - the place to learn about Turbine spray systems.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:03 pm
MrStop wrote:
golfguy wrote:
DarrelK wrote:Let me answer Golfguy here.... I still like bleeders myself however the new 6 stage turbines were a clean sheet of paper design which incoporates a backpressure port right on the turbine outlet itself. In simple designs that is just open with more elaborate designs using a type of spring loaded pop off valve on that port.
And MrStop.... yes, I know that the Avanti is not much to look at but you can't say it doesn't perform well. Again, I'm less hung up on guns with turbine spraying..... the 6 stage is the minimum key to getting the best results with turbine spraying.... and of course needle/nozzle selection is again important in any of these guns....

The old unit 2 1/2 stage I have now has an ametek motor now with 11amp but I may have to upgrade to a 15amp switch ....What happens if I keep the current 11 amp switch will that be ok? and what is the name of the adaptor that connects to the blower so I can convert my current hose to a easy click on/off hose like the new modern turbines....I know DarrelK you mentioned you currently are using a garden hose and a WHIP attachment

You'll need to upgrade the motor/turbine to get more performance. It's more than just the switch rating.

HVLP fittings are standard garden hose brass quick connects. You should be able to pick them up at a home center or Harbor Freight.

Before buying an Avanti unit, I would look for used professional units on ebay, craigslist or facebook marketplace. You should be able to pickup a used Titan, Graco, Fuji, Apollo, or other for a similar price. Alternatively, Darrel has provided info to build your own.

Thanks MrStop I will give it a try and upgrade my 2 stage motor to a 6 stage...It looks exactly like a chinese knock off version of Ametek ......Definitely on the lookout for some used ones as well

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:12 pm
DarrelK wrote:Just so everybody saves a few bucks....
This....https://www.finishsystems.com/products/ ... lve-a7538a
is just a garden hose fitting with a hole drilled in it. You can make your own version for about a buck..... they didn't even take the time to put in a true pop off valve.....

I had posted on here before over in Tools before we had this new forum....
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29168&start=0

And, yes, I do like heavy duty garden hoses and also the internal hose they use a lot in spa building. A turbine hose whip is great up at the gun itself.....

Thanks DarrelK for the information on turbines ...I wish I knew this 3 or 4 years ago...That means I can maybe use my old LVLP SPrayIt gun if I decide to go for the non bleeder type of gun

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:12 pm
I plan on upgrading my gun to a regular HVLP gun from HF ...Do you guys believe this adaptor with a steel clamp will hold up the high pressure when spraying ?

I cant wait and excited to spray my car so I can get some experience going....
Attachments
Adaptor JPEG.jpg

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:53 am
I don't think your turbine will put out enough pressure to run that gun

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:55 am
Nope, ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what he just said...... Turbine guns are generally a "clean sheet of paper design" incorporating much larger air passages and also some venturi effects internally within the gun.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:24 pm
I just purhcased the 6 stage this week and looking forward to installing it soon maybe with some help with my brother or friend to help me to the elctrical part...

Now Shopping around for some good quality garden hoses, WHIP hose , adaptors from 3/8 to 1/4, a spray gun from HF or online , etc
Previous

Return to Turbine Systems