Critique my game plan please.

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:27 pm
Finally managed to get my paint looking good and am moving on to cut and buff next weekend. Paint is silver metallic with ********** uni clear.

I really hammered on the clear heavy so theres some minor wave in some spots.
I plan on doing a quick hard blocking of 600 to knock them down. Then rubber block with 800, then 1000,1500 and 2000 on foam blocks.

Then for buffing: 68 Coronets recipe of Meguires M100 followed by Chemical guys v36 and then the Menzerna super finish.

Though I do wonder if I'll really need the Menzerna? This isn't going to Carlisle and the paint is really bright as is, feels like my eyes where burning when I looked over it closely for dust bits and what not. Done a few cut and buffs in the past without a third stage and was more than pleased with the results.

Normally I'd just go for it but time is hard to come by for me and really want to get this thing together.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:46 pm
Personally I wouldn't go with 600 grit unless I was planning to shoot more clear.

1000 grit on a hard block is what I start with. Work a small section at a time to remove all the shiny spots. It should flatten the clear just fine. Follow with your 1500 on a soft block to remove all the 1000 scratches and then do the same with 2000.

The M100 with a wool pad on a rotary, may give you the finish you want. I will usually follow it with a foam pad and Chemical Guys to provide a little more clarity. The Menzerna is to give you a scratch free shine.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail