Can this raised conversion van roof be refinished?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:47 pm
Got this 86 RAM Conversion that is in decent shape mechanically, but the roof has discoloration, but otherwise no physical holes/cracks/etc.

It is a Zimmer Conversion with raised ceiling in the back.
I would really like to save this vehicle from the crusher, but I don’t have $30k to splurge on it.

I would appreciate any help to point me in the right direction.

All comments and suggestions welcome! :worthy:

Bruce
Attachments
5D696D45-9BEA-4E0C-AC98-5EA1E3BABD4E.jpeg

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:36 am
Yes, it can.
The question is, do you have the equipment necessary to do the job?
Rattle cans aren't the answer and quality materials require spray guns, adequate compressor size, filtration, etc.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:12 pm
Hi Coronet!

Actually I’m not even sure what I need. What type of treatment are you talking about?

Some type fiberglass paint with a clear coat over?

I need to understand what I should I be looking for so someone doesn’t sell me something I don’t need. I’ve worked on about everything since the 70s, but never learned body work stuff.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!!!
B

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:28 pm
I will defer you to Darrelk on that. He's got more experience with it than I do.

Hopefully, he will pick up on this thread shortly.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:01 am
Yep, just dropped in.... Okay, you don't just have discoloration on that top you also have a mild etch into the surface gel coat. In my opinon the current most economical fix for it is to use a more expensive surfacer to eliminate several individual steps we used to take on this stuff.... You need to hit it with a dewaxer/degreaer, let it set in the sun for a couple of days if possible, then you can get into this.... https://tamcopaint.com/products/high-bu ... 8749318224 Now, what 68 was inferring here..... What type of equipment are you set up with? I'm talking guns, compressor, shop situation, etc. For even simple fiberglass surfaces like this you need a certain level of equipment before you even start..... If you don't have a couple of grand in equipment we don't need to talk much further on where you go from the primer stage.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:22 am
DarrelK wrote:Yep, just dropped in.... Okay, you don't just have discoloration on that top you also have a mild etch into the surface gel coat. In my opinon the current most economical fix for it is to use a more expensive surfacer to eliminate several individual steps we used to take on this stuff.... You need to hit it with a dewaxer/degreaer, let it set in the sun for a couple of days if possible, then you can get into this.... https://tamcopaint.com/products/high-bu ... 8749318224 Now, what 68 was inferring here..... What type of equipment are you set up with? I'm talking guns, compressor, shop situation, etc. For even simple fiberglass surfaces like this you need a certain level of equipment before you even start..... If you don't have a couple of grand in equipment we don't need to talk much further on where you go from the primer stage.....

Could you just roll on new gel coat? Ive never done it but people seem to have luck doing boats.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:56 pm
Yep, you can roll on gel coats, however they must have a special additive so they can air cure. A gel coat is normally the first coat spray into a mold and is chemically designed to cure without exposure to air. Personally I think the Tamco high build epoxy is a cheaper and more stabilizing way to treat "old" fiberglass.
So I'm just going to throw this out there.... no equipment?, little, money?, hit it with bedliner. Sand it up with 80 grit, borrow or buy a cheap compressor that can hit 70psi, use Raptor bedliner. You can get it in colors or just go black. You can adjust the texture by distance from the surface.... I've seen it done on these old tops before....it's not a bad effect....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic