Triumph TR3 Build

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

User avatar

Top Contributor
Posts: 4875
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:15 pm
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:15 pm
I've been doing a lot of cutting, still have to drill out the spot welds in the back of the floor pan and the quarter panel to release the back part of the inner sill.

I cut out the floor, then the A-pillar, followed by the inner sill and rocker. Once I clean up the previously mentioned spot welds I'll be fitting the new inner sill and A-pillar. Should be fun
Attachments
Floor 2.jpg
Floor.jpg
A-pillar.jpg
A-pillar 2.jpg
Sill.jpg
Rob



Top Contributor
Posts: 6113
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:17 pm
Location: Pahrump NV.
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:23 am
Wow
Thats a stout little body and frame. Looks like a perfect candidate for a Small block :twisted:

Seriously I would have seriously considered a dip for that one to remove all the old paint and rust.
Dennis B.
A&P Mechanic, FCC General radio Telephone Operator
Line Maintenance A&P Mechanic and MOC Tech specialist.

User avatar

Top Contributor
Posts: 4875
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:15 pm
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:07 am
Nowhere to dip where I am. The only one we had on the island was shut down 20 or more years ago. Sure would have sped up the process.
Rob

User avatar

Top Contributor
Posts: 4875
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:15 pm
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:25 am
This is getting ugly.

I cut out most of the inner sill but still had the back part to remove. The bottom of the qtr panel dogleg was rotted so I cut up until I got clean metal. I had to cut another piece of it out to access the inner sill welds. Lots of grinding, drilling and bad words and the rest of the sill came out.

I figured I'd strip the paint off this area and right away something didn't look right. I was expecting lead in some of the seams but hadn't anticipated an entire repair done in lead :splat:

The top of the dogleg was a 1/4" thick in lead tapering down to zero where I cut the little piece out. I torched it out but there's more to go as it curves up over the wheel arch. I haven't stripped the door or fenders on this side yet, sure hope they're not full of lead.
I've been wearing a respirator the entire time but removing lead is no fun, it's bad stuff.
It's a pretty beat up little panel, I might have to cut out the bracing behind it so I can hammer and dolly it back out.
Attachments
Qtr panel lead 6.jpg
Qtr panel lead 5.jpg
Qtr panel lead 3.jpg
Qtr panel lead 2.jpg
Qtr panel lead 1.jpg
Rob

User avatar

Board Moderator
Posts: 9685
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:40 pm
Location: ARIZONA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:41 am
Ouch!
You got yourself a real project there.
1968 Coronet R/T


ACTS 16:31

User avatar

Top Contributor
Posts: 4875
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:15 pm
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:28 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Ouch!
You got yourself a real project there.


I do indeed. Not much going my way yet, a lot to figure out.

I bolted down the new inner sill to the frame and it sure doesn't line up well so that will be a challenge. I'm blaming most of this on the body being pushed all over the place. The body is about a 1/2" too far to the outside and about an inch short at the front of the sill. A lot of head scratching in my future.
Attachments
Inner sill 4.jpg
Inner sill 3.jpg
Inner sill 2.jpg
Inner sill 1.jpg
Rob
Previous

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests