Getting out orange peel

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:00 am
I have lots of orange peel and I can get it out with color sanding but it takes forever. I have spent hours just getting some of it out on part of a panel. Is there a more efficient way to sand orange peel out? I am using a sanding block and 1000 grit sandpaper, I then go to 1500, then to 2000. Is there a machine I should use to get rid of the peel faster. Thanks.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:59 pm
sand it down with 400 grit , and repaint it read all you can paint
atomization try and learn how to adjust yor gun.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:53 am
Technique is also important. Meaning where you start on the vehicle, and what pattern you are following. Good skills come with time/practice/patience. I have been doing this for about a year now and have just recenly learned how to spray properly. I have learned by trial and error. Start asking questions about technique. I am sure it will help you out alot. Gun setup is also crutial. If you see bad orange peel its best to stop and rethink whats going wrong. Test pannels are a good thing to practice/learn with.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:02 pm
Do you have a jitter bug sander? If so, put the 1000 grit wet sand paper on it ---Fill a squeeze container with water and maintain the water current by the base of the jitter bug sander. This means you must keep the paper flushed with water while you use the sander. If the peel is stubborn, use 600 grit to remove it, then change the paper on the sander to 1000 grit, sand uniformly and use a squeegee to check if the paint is flattened out and dull in appearance. Next change the paper to 1500 grit and use a sanding block and sand by hand, the surface should be sanded enough at this stage. Compound slowly a small area at a time and then overlap into a new area---Take your time there is no rush---Use a good hand glaze with or without a machine or by hand.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail