should i sand the sealer coat before i put down my base

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:01 am
i am using dupont paint system sorry dont have part numbers and i was wondering what the general feeling about sanding with a 600 grit paper before laying down my base/ clear. i know in shops they usually dont. get the car in and out but this is my personal car so i have the time to wait it out, any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:21 am
IF YOU have left it more than 2 hours ,then wet sand or dry.Sealers like to be hit within 1 hour time scale.
fail to prepare ,prepare to fail.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:37 pm
The only time you would need to sand would be to get dirt nibs out, or any sand scratch you missed in the primer. If your within your top coat window, If you wait to long your going to end up resanding the whole body or part. After you spray on your sealer if all looks good go right to base/clear. Never seen any real advantage in sanding the sealer smooth.

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:03 pm
like paint pot said, once you pass your window, or you have orange peel in the sealer, you gonna need to sand it. period. 600 wetsand or dry will do the job nicely. :allgood:
Life is Short, Live your life and Do what You want to Do!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:18 pm
Remember,,"If" you sand through your sealer,,,you will have to re-seal it.

Just cut the trash out of it and go on to your base coat.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:51 am
so i tried to put the sealer on yesterday washed the car with soap and water rinsed off let it dry over nite blew it off with clean dry air and then used duponts wash and wipe mixedup the primer sealer tacked the car and shot it the whole car was peppered in dust i mean everywear top sides hood that was hanging no spot without dust am wondering if any one oy there ever run into this, wondering if it is because it has been so dry here this winter that maybe had a static electricity build up gonna sand with 600 and try again any tips would be helpfull thanks

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:12 pm
search for static in the search button, you should find a tip from odg, that i cannot remember the name of the product he has used. not sure if it works on sealer or not. odg can tell you for sure, maybe p.m. him. are you sure its dust, not gun settings? the gun spitting?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:24 pm
how about some good pictures, i can't see how everything is covered with dust. it could be something else, or you've got a real dirty room your painting in :)
they say my name is Jay

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:55 pm
thats why i'm thinking the gun is spitting causing little bumps of material all over the work. unless like bad said, your painting in corn silo? lol which i know your not! :allgood:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:01 pm
:rotfl: :rotfl: corn silo
they say my name is Jay
Next

Return to Body and Paint